Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Pumpkins Pumpkins Pumpkins


I love decorating for holidays and seasonal changes.  Fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Independence Day and so on.  One of my favorite things about Fall, Halloween and Thanksgiving decor is that a lot of it can flow from one theme through the next, especially pumpkins!  I have three pumpkins that I use and re-use in my front porch decor every fall.  They are metal and/or ceramic and I love them.  I wanted to try out something new this year though and since I have an awesome pile of 100+ year old barn wood laying out back I decided to try my hand at making wooden pumpkins. 


I grabbed a few pieces of wood from my majestic pile (Ok maybe not majestic but it's pretty freakin' awesome!) and cut them into equal-ish lengths.  I lined them up and attached a piece of scrap 1x2" cut into half onto the back to make a basic rectangle.  I used wood glue and screws to attach each piece rather than just a brad nailer as wood this old tends to split very easily.  Then I used my handy dandy jig saw to roughly round off the corners and the belt sander to round them a bit more. 



I was going to use some scrap quarter round trim for the stems but then came across an old dried bark free tree branch that was laying out by the chicken coop and decided it was more the look that I was going for and so VOILA- pumpkins.  I wanted them to be rustic but also a bit farmhouse chic so I added some burlap ribbon in the form of a bow to the front of each pumpkin.   I love how they turned out and can't wait to make a few more.  I want a set for myself and to sell in the store. 

Thanks for stopping by and have a Happy Fall Y'all! 





No comments:

Post a Comment